Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Responsibility and Friendship

This one I was inspired to write about because of watching my Dad in action. He is now, very sadly a widower for a month. But what a survivor! Unbelievable!
A tragedy has happened,  and what is his first thought? Yes, he's lonely and the house feels empty without my mother.
But my Dad's professional training was in architecture. His primary concern is, what are the things I need to do to prevent my life from caving in? The answer: He needs to take proper care of himself. Yes, he must eat and take his meds. He has, in addition to this, kept the house clean, mowed the lawn and done other maintenance on the yard.
But you know what he's needing to do? Something that takes quite a bit of courage. He is needing to form new relationships, and develop meaning in relationships that before my mother's death he could afford to keep at bay.
Do you have any idea how much determination this takes? How much respect he has for the life God put in him? I know many many people who, if faced with a challenge as great as this, would throw in the towel and say "Forget it!".
But look, he knows I need him. He also loves his grandchildren (my niece and nephew), and be wants to see them grow up.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, in order to form friendships, you really have to first be a good friend to yourself. It's the thing that helps people decide that you are normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment