Sunday, July 19, 2015

Only Lonely is a big only

I had to stop here tonight. I called this blog "Always Your Friend", and I feel that always means now. Now there is something different about the way I'm putting together this blog from the way I normally construct my blogs. What is different is that I already have my musical item picked out, and it is actually the song that inspired this blog, rather than where usually the song comes as an accessory to the heart of the blog.

Well the song is about loneliness, and it seems like here in the 21st century, friendship does not even have the same meaning as it did before the turn of the millennium. I think to pinpoint the problem is not that difficult. You see, what has happened is that we have taken the shortcut to friendship by just zeroing in on intimacy. Everything has been sped up so much. With the digital age, we can rely on being able to get anything we want fairly quickly.

But the problem is there is no cutting corners to developing a quality friendship. Friendship takes time. When you are becoming friends with someone, you want to slowly approach discussing certain subjects (politics, parenting, and yes, even sex) to see whether you and whoever you wish to be friends with agree about things that matter to you. You cannot just pick up a person on the street corner, take them home,  sleep with them, and tan ta da dan! Instant friendship!

Yes, well here I am lecturing again, and it's very easy to lecture. Doesn't take much thought or involvement. But you have come here because you need a friend. You need a real friend. What can I do right now to make you feel less lonely? I know for a fact that there are many people lonely. There are many people also, who are stuck in a relationship that is not at all what they had hoped for. And even myself in my own situation. I had a boyfriend, and he was made to move to a different facility from where we both dwelled. Now, I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to see him again. We were together for twelve years! And it's been hard. And scary.

Let me be perfectly honest with you. Most of my days are spent in a room with a woman who is "unresponsive". She's kinda like halfway in and out of a coma. And the majority of the time, she's the only human with me. I spend a great deal of time on Facebook, sometimes I go on Twitter, IG, and I got Tumblr. Yep. I got a bunch of them. And I do believe, in a unique way, you can touch hearts through social media, and it's nice.

So how do I manage with loneliness? Very recently I have begun to spend more time in prayer. Believe me, there are plenty of things I need to pray about! Also I enjoy creating with my phone. Plus, I've been a paraplegic for over 30 years. So facing all the immense difficulties that have come with that, I have become very strong emotionally. And I have to say it: I know every moment of every day, that God loves me, and that I love Him. Goodnight...

♬   J. D. Souther: You're Only Lonely


No comments:

Post a Comment