Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Guilt free endings

Last week I learned a very valuable lesson. I had become good friends with a young woman, and we were both enjoying spending time together. However, unfortunately spending such a great deal of time with her was causing me to get off-center with my priorities, and most dangerous, I was neglecting my health. I began to notice that every night I was going to sleep very very late after chatting with her, which resulted in me dragging through my days, and just losing sight of the things that were, and needed to be important to me.

Yet I liked this friend very much, and she seemed to really adore me. My friendship had satisfied her longing for nurturing, and with the kind of person I am, I was delighted to be used of God in this way.

I would never have realized how much this friendship was draining me, till one night, I didn't hear from her at all. The following day I was markedly more organized with what needed to be done, as well as more contented and cheery in disposition. People were amazed at the change in me, and wondered what made the difference. That's when I recognized what a toll this friendship, which seemed to be so enjoyable and satisfying, was taking. And I knew I had to end it.

It was a valuable lesson for me. So valuable that I was able to forgive many people who had extended themselves in friendship to me in my younger days, but were unable to follow through. I want to say too that I have spoken here on this blog about hypocrisy in the church and how I had been hurt. But after this relationship, I understand. There are times when people are simply unable to be a friend. I have now forgiven many many people.

We cannot be perfect friends. We cannot give our love to everybody, though we may sincerely want to. Sometimes we have to say goodbye, even to people we love. Our own health and happiness must always be at the top of our to-do list.

♬   David Gates: Goodbye Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment