Monday, December 29, 2014

At the end of the day, a successful friendship will prove to involve good morals

This morning I examined my Facebook page, as I do at least once or twice a day, and I scroll through all the posts until I get to where I left off before. And let me say, I think most of my friends have priorities that are different from mine. And I think that I have given subtle, (or sometimes not so subtle) hints that I don't like what they are posting. So the question becomes, do I unfriend them? And here I have to say, when someone posts and posts and posts about their same shpeel, and nobody else can get in, I unfollow them, without unfriending them.

And I have to wonder, by the same token, are there those who are friends with me that don't always appreciate what I have to say? What I am leading to, is that in all friendships, there's a connection. I saw my mom and dad argue and argue sometimes, because one saw a situation one way, and the other saw it quite a different way. But it was important to them to get closure on whatever they were discussing. Their relationship, their thoughts on a subject, and clarifying both their thoughts, and the importance of their relationship was worth taking time over.

And so we have what our government calls "checks and balances system" at work in every friendship. We measure to what extent do we disagree with someone, how important is it to us to make what we think known, and ultimately, how valuable is the friendship?

And so, if refraining from judging people is important to us (it is very important to me), then we will be gentle with our friends if we think they are mistaken about something. If longevity in friendships is important to us (again, very important to me), then we will not quit out on a friend because of their misdeeds, whether many or few. We will go the distance. Forgiveness and forbearance, letting offenses go, letting offenses have no power over us will lead to healthy, resilient friendships.

And of course, the motor that gives friendship power, and that draws us into friendships and gives us the ability to remain friends, is LOVE.

♬   Ashton, Becker, Dente: Song of Reconciliation

No comments:

Post a Comment