Sunday, August 31, 2014

True friends are supportive of each others' faith, even if it differs from their own

Faith. Don't think it is the power to believe that God is real. Indirectly, faith is a strong belief which brings an individual back to this power. But Muslins, Hindus, Buddhists, and even atheists are capable of strong, abiding faith which needs to be supported. And... I will relate this straight to friendship.

When I was in the 6th grade, I had a little friend called Sherry. I at the time, being from Israel, was zealous as could be about my Judaism. Sherry was from a very wonderful family, always made me feel welcome, and they were church going Christians. I knew nothing about all of what that meant. But it meant that Sherry believed in Jesus. Sherry and I were great, great friends, and she was really good to me. But it would come a time when we began to argue about religion. Here I have to confess, I began to bludgeon her and say mean things to her because I wanted her to give up Christ and believe as I believed. The arguing between us got out of hand, and unfortunately, just as we were about to graduate 6th grade and transition to Jr. High School, Sherry's parents decided to relocate the family.

You don't convince someone about a God of love by force. What people believe is the very deepest thing in their soul that gives them hope. I have met various people who have shared their faith with me. Though it was different from my own, I sincerely encouraged them. Religion is not meant to be about facts and figures. Religion is about following that thing that guides us into making positive choices for our lives. It is that thing that gives us hope. Bludgeon somebody to the point when they are no longer happy with what they believe, and all you may end up doing is losing a friend.

Serena Ryder: Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream

No comments:

Post a Comment