Monday, May 16, 2016

Get what you want, even if it's not exactly what you want


This is a subject I have been looking at a lot lately. Wisdom. The Bible tells us that wisdom can potentially get us everything we want, if we use it properly. Now this verse about wisdom from Proverbs chapter 17, asks us, why are we saying how very much we want wisdom, when we are not even showing that we are prepared to use it?

Just last night I once again caught myself displaying an attitude that made it clear that I wanted to wander away from wisdom. My respiratory therapist was working with me, and I asked her to jack up my oxygen supply, and she did not want to do it. I told her I was short of breath, but she said the vent reflected I was receiving enough oxygen at the time. Another case of not being able to have my way. And so I began to scoff (in my mind). I decided that she was just a mean respiratory therapist who enjoyed depriving patients of their oxygen. I decided she was being unkind.

I never took a moment to think maybe I needed to respect her decision as a professional. I reacted just as Psalm 1 says a blessed person does not do. "Walk in the counsel of the ungodly, sit in the seat of sinners, and stand in the way of scorners". Fortunately I did go ahead and make the best of it. But situations like this are perfect opportunities to show the life of Christ in me by being submissive. And this, I believe is a good and worthy goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment