Monday, May 9, 2016

Accepting the situations we find ourselves in, and learning to appreciate them

OK. You know why I think we should practice accepting and appreciating what we have? We might not get anything better. A new house might not turn out to be a better house. A new boyfriend/husband might not turn out to be a better boyfriend/husband a new gender might not be a better gender. Changing our surroundings when life doesn't make us happy can be a terrible mistake. Usually, if we feel unhappy, the one we need to change is ourselves.

Got a real wakeup call about this point recently. I don't how much I have written about it on this blog, but some of you may have figured out that I have almost ongoing friction with the respiratory department where I reside. Now I could carry on and say, "Oh that wicked respiratory department!" And I could think of a few choice criticisms to make. Lazy, nasty attitude, spiteful, etc. But wait a minute. Is it possible that I have something to do with the friction experienced between me and the respiratory department?

Here's a big one folks. I can't believe I'm actually about to confess this: IDOLATRY. Yep. Making the respiratory department more important than the Lord. Rather than having faith that it is the Lord who is providing me with oxygen and breath, I'm seeing it as - my breathing treatments, my suctions, the procedures carried out by the respiratory personnel, as the power behind my breathing.

I imagine this puts the people who work in respiratory under a great deal of pressure, which probably  is the reason why we seldom get along. I am making them responsible for way too much.

But do you see how changing nursing homes, or constantly switching therapists (which I do) would in nowise solve the problem? It would only make matters worse! Friends, if you are unhappy, chances are you are actually unhappy with yourself, and not any external factor.


No comments:

Post a Comment