Monday, February 29, 2016

When those who surround us are not our friends, and we very much need a friend

Hi. I want to write something positive about a very negative type of situation. The reason I must write something positive about it is that if I don't find something positive in it, my condition will get worse. This is how sensitive I am.

So the situation I want to introduce is: when the people who surround us are clearly not our friends, yet we are very much in need of a friend. Sounds very much like what children who are victims of bullying go through. It's painful. But let me direct you once again to some song lyrics. In the song "Hold On", the band Wilson Phillips suggests:

                "Open your heart and your mind
                 Is it really fair to feel this way inside?"

And I have to answer this question, "No. I am not being fair to myself when I dwell on negative, hurtful thoughts that will not solve my problem." So you know what comes to mind? Smile! Share sunshine with others. Give more, take less. What can I do to make other people's day better? Many easy ways I can think of to make a number of people's lives better.

Are there people who want to be your friends, but who you have shut out? For me, the answer to this question would be YES. Why weep over people who do not share my views and my goals, when there are people right at my fingertips who do appreciate my ideas and where I'm trying to go?

As I began this blog segment I felt it was going to be hopeless trying to find something positive to say on this subject. How very wrong I was! Let's practice giving our friendship to those who sincerely want it. Those who remain skeptical about us, we should be polite to them as well. We can think of them as people "who will one day soon come to like and understand us."

♬     Wilson Phillips: Hold On


No comments:

Post a Comment