Monday, June 23, 2014

Special Friends

What makes someone a special friend? Recently someone behaved in a way that defined it for me. A woman came in for the 11-7 shift, and, without going into the details, let me just say that I had had a difficult day, and I went off on her. The 2 days or so that followed, she did not come in, and I realized that I had made a mistake by being so mean to her. I became conscious that she was a very good friend and a true friend. So it came to me that with valuable friends, it is only right to overlook any faults they have, as they too, overlook mine.

After a few days she returned. She entered my room hesitantly, not knowing whether I'd still be angry. I told her how very sorry I was for my abusive behavior. I was not sure how she was going to feel about me or whether she would forgive me.

The young lady forgave me everything! She conducted herself like we had never argued. I was thrilled! She didn't care about the wrong I had done at all. She heard my apology and accepted it. She forgave my misdeeds. But what makes her special is that she also was willing to forget, and put our friendship back into mint condition.

Why does anyone forgive and forget in this way? It happens when someone understands that he/she is deeply needed by the person who wronged them. A parent spends his lifetime forgiving this way. A person who forgives and forgets sees that his/her friend has a deficit in an area that that may not be able to be helped for a time. I know my boyfriend says and does things sometimes where I just need to let it go. I've been seeing him for 11 years and have come to understand the way he thinks. I know what I can and cannot expect from him.

A true friend sees what's in the best interests of his/her friend and knows when it is necessary to lay aside his/her own.

♬  Stevie Wonder: If You Really Love Me

No comments:

Post a Comment