Saturday, May 17, 2014

When all else fails, there is always someone who likes us

How many people have gotten angry with God before, or at least annoyed and frustrated? If you're honest, I bet every one of you would say you have. Now these stuffy-assed fundamentalist Christians will swear that "one must never EVER get mad a't God. God does everything perfectly". Well yes Pastor, we know that God does everything perfectluy, but why does His perfection not include what I want to see happen?

There are all kinds of reasons why people get mad at God. My mother had read much of the Bible. She felt that God was unfair. She had these questions: Why was Abel's sacrifice accepted, while Cain's was not? (Genesis 4:4-5) Why did God cause an "evil spirit from the Lord"; to fall upon Saul? (1 Samuel 16:14-15) Bottom line (as my Mom pondered) Why did God say "I will bless those who I will bless, and curse those who I will curse"? (unable to find this verse as I remember it). All of these are real parts of the Bible. And for many many years, my mom wouldn't come to Christ because of such things. But I am not bringing up any of these issues to refute them.

I bring up my mom in particular, because my mom was a woman with many, many friends. Wherever our family went throughout the years, she made friends who clung to her faithfully. Even as she got older, when the worldwide web came to be, people contacted her from all over the world. There were people who even remembered her from childhood.

What I'm trying to say is, at the point where our faith in God, or in ourselves weakens it is there that we end up appreciating the love of our friends. At the point where two or more people feel like saying "Yeah things suck! But 'Hail hail the gang's all here. What the hell do we care? What the hell do we care now?'" (old army song) For everything that comes to be, a need has to be there first. We have friends because we need friends and they need us. If we have a friend we know we can count on, are we thankful, or what? ت Friendship happens when our imperfections are overlooked by someone, and their imperfections are overlooked by us. They happen when love takes over.

  ♬ Jerry Reed: Alabama Jubilee

No comments:

Post a Comment