Thursday, May 8, 2014

Straight Talk, Cuz I Been There

OK. It comes a certain point in life sometimes, where people don't care. They're afraid. And they cannot help. They get paralyzed with fear. They do not want to step in and care. I have been a wheelchair user since 1985. In 1986, things happened, and I was left alone in my apartment. No outgoing transportation. No support from any organization. No help with my physical care. Alone. I LOST MY MIND.

After a couple of weeks like this, I stopped getting in and out of bed. I sat in my living room chain smoking and hallucinating. I was living in an apartment complex. But no one checked on me. I tried going around in my neighborhood. But I was told to leave. I tried getting into a day treatment program. But I got excuses. These final few days, a fire could have started. I might have fallen out my chair. But never a knock on the door. Nobody wanted to get involved.

So I know. I know how cold people can be. I know that if I didn't care to live, few others would care either.

But I am here. I am here. And even though I am fully aware that I am my only friend this side of Heaven, I deal with it. I respect people even though I know how spineless they can be. I am committed to people, even though I have seen what they are capable of. Therefore, I would like to see you smile.

Yolanda Adams: Just A Prayer Away

No comments:

Post a Comment