Friday, March 14, 2014

When the friend cupboard looks empty

Hi! I'm kind of excited because I've got a little bit of a new topic relevant to friendship to get into. When it comes to sharing about handling  relationships, sometimes it's best to relate things to an experience. So I am going to begin with what is going on for me right now on my facebook page. For about the past week on my facebook page, I have gotten no response to anything at all which I have posted. I think I have about 30 friends, give or take, and there are pages too, that I have liked. But nothing I have shared, be way of comment, post, or even private note, has elicited any response.

What would you do? There are a number of options as to how to try and relieve the pain. I only want to share about one natural tendency which has the potential of adding to the damage. It's very tempting, when the indication is that nobody likes you, to look for someone in the crowd, and recruit that someone to prove that YES! you do have someone who loves you! Going back now to what is currently happening to me, other than delete my facebook account which is out of the question, I could look for one special friend (someone who has been particularly nice to me) to squeeze some words out of, therefore proving that I do have a soul in this world who cares. Is that something I would consider doing?

NO!!! Let me take apart what is going on when I choose a reaction like that to my problem: I am selecting one individual, and putting all my confidence in him or her to rescue me. One human being... not at all unlike most human beings, and yet I am asking this person to separate themselves from the crowd and take on the label of My Hero. A role they have no information about, and have no idea at all what the consequences of taking it would be. And if the person refuses to get involved, it is implied that my relationship with him or her would be over.

All of this, my dear, dear friends, can be described as simply this putting someone's back against the wall. Very very hazardous to a friendship! I have been going steady with Andre for 11 years, and in all this time I have never done that. And you have to realize in 11 years those types of situations have come up. You know something, now Andre creates his own opportunities to show undying friendship, and to show how much he loves me.

What to do at those times when it looks like nobody cares? Just simply wait it out friends. Wait it out along with everybody else. They're waiting to see what you're going to do? Join them! Enjoy the mystery of seeing what's going to happen, how is all of it going to play out?

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: I Won't Back Down


No comments:

Post a Comment