Friday, September 25, 2015

Telling the truth is being a true friend to both yourself and others

For a number of weeks now, I had found myself sleeping the entire day. And I didn't understand what was going on. I thought I was sleeping most of the night. I was sleeping late enough in the morning to get my 6-8 hours of sleep, so, "what is this?", I wondered. And so, when my therapist (psychologist) came to see me, I confronted the subject right away. I said "Frankly, I'm concerned that I've been sleeping excessively. I've been sleeping most of the night, and then the entire day".

And so, I don't think anyone had told her to approach the subject with me, but out of the concern of a true friend, and out of the diligence of someone who wants to do her job properly, she began to tell me some facts that she had learned about cell phone usage. First, she told me that studies have shown that using a device late at night when it is dark out, and you(I) am staring into the the phone screen, that the phone screen can deceive the body into thinking it is daytime, and/or time to be awake and energetic, and therefore it can artificially alter someone's whole sense of when day is and when night is. And myself, always having been determined to help myself when there is a problem, I took what my therapist said very seriously. And so she suggested, I should just make up my mind that at a certain time, once it gets dark, I turn the phone off and do other things, things that don't involve artificial light. Well, someone else might have been angry or hurt to hear advice like this. But myself, I made up my mind to do as she suggested. And now, for 2 days, I've gone to put away my phone earlier. The first night, still relatively late, but better for me, and last night, I turned the phone off, I think even before midnight, which is an acceptable target time for me.

The result is that today, I feel energetic, and psyched to make friends, build up existing friendships, and in general, provide the type of support that I thrive on providing. A life can be a baffling mess, and one caring friend, one honest person,  can fix it with just a few words of TRUTH. Make up your mind to tell the truth today.

♬    Pat Benatar: Treat Me Right

No comments:

Post a Comment