Thursday, February 12, 2015

Could that asshole be me?

Here's a thought that has been going through my head. How do we respond when we don't get our way, or when things don't go our way? I know, if someone says something rude to me or just doesn't treat me the way I want to be treated, all kinds of thoughts run through my mind. Oh, she's just jealous, he's uneducated (ignorant), she's crazy, he's going to Hell, it's going to come back on her.

We find something that has been said or done to us intolerable, and the way our brains (and heart) work, is that it is essential to us to think of a way to view them that is as close as possible to being equally intolerable. This is what most of us do, or at least what I do. But something has crossed my mind lately. If there is negativity going on with a particular person or persons, is it possible that my knee-jerk reaction of trying to see the person in an equally negative light, is revealing something to me? Is it possible that I need to reevaluate something in my own life rather than spit out any thoughts that what is happening could  say something about me?

Very very challenging thoughts here. But I feel they lead to a better quality of peace. Peace of mind for me and a feeling of relief for whoever has been frustrated with me. I want to take responsibility for my relationships and friendships, and potential friendships. I want to stop hurling criticism, even if it is only in my thoughts, because something didn't go my way. Even if in certain ways I have gotten into a rut, a change in attitude can only help, whatever stage of the game I'm in. One day at a time, moment by moment, I am going to resist the temptation to criticize others or frown at what they have chosen.

♬   Michael Jackson: Man in the Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment