Sunday, November 23, 2014

Friendship happens silently

Out of all the moments when I am together with someone, those moments when I realize how much I love them are the quietest. We could be talking about any subject at all, or we could be on our way somewhere or even just cleaning the house together, and it comes to me how delightful this person is to be with, and at that moment there is nothing to say. I quietly smile as I am reminded that life is worth living.

As I think about this, I think of Jesus' sermon on the mount. I believe in Matthew chapter 6 Jesus directed people to avoid making a public display of their piety. Jesus said "give your alms in secret, and God, who sees in secret will reward you openly". The greatest experiences we have with our friends happen without words. They are beyond words. And God, who sees the love in our hearts, makes it clear to our friends as well as ourselves, that we have something very special.

Elton John: Your Song

No comments:

Post a Comment