Saturday, July 6, 2013

The excitement of making new friends

Well hello gang! Took me a while to get back to you with something, but if you have gotten to know the rhythm of my blogging, you know that once I settle down to write a blog, I give it my utmost, and therefore my blogs just cannot be produced at any old time of the day or night. But I am having a relaxing afternoon, and I do have some thoughts I've been wanting to share.
Isn't friendship the most exciting thing of all? I am noticing some people in my life who am realizing I like. See, that's the key word in friendship; a friend is someone who likes you. A friendship is birthed when we like someone. Usually, we like people because we notice that we share in common with them something that we place a certain amount of importance on. It could be a favorite hobby, a favorite nationality of food, or, what's often the most important to me in my friends is that they have a proactive, enthusiastic attitude.
And so, we have before us those people who we would like to get to know better. Imagine that you are a painter, and that before you is a canvas. You are going to put your friends on the canvas.
You have to observe what each friends looks like. This is the input which your friends have into the outcome of the painting. Then the exciting part comes. As the co-creator of our friendships, we have the privilege of choosing what favorite features about each friend we want to convey on our canvas. Lastly, when our friends view the finished work, they have a deepened understanding of the qualities we value in them.
What I am trying to say here, using an artist and his or her subject as a symbol, is that one of the very most exciting things about making and keeping friends is that it's interactive. Friendship is one of the few things left in this world that cannot happen alone. It is dependent on it's participants, and how those participants conduct themselves.




No comments:

Post a Comment